Double Whammy Chocolate Brownies
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) carob powder [look for allergen-free brands]
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) chocolate chips*
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 4 eggs or 4 tbsp egg replacer
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
*Here are some of our favourite allergy-friendly chocolate choices for baking: Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips ‚Äì free of all top allergens, plus gluten and casein. www.enjoylifefoods.com Nonuttin’ 70% Dark Chocolate Chunks and Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips ‚Äì free of all top allergens except soy. www.nonuttin.com Vermont Nut Free Chocolates Chocolate Chips, Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, Candy Melts and Cocoa Powder ‚Äì free of peanut and tree nut. www.vermontnutfree.com
Makes: 12 servings
Free of: most top allergens (contain wheat)
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, sift together flour, carob, baking powder and salt. Add chocolate chips and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, use a whisk to cream together oil and sugar. Add the eggs (or egg replacer) and vanilla and stir.
- Pour wet mixture into flour mixture and combine.
- Grease an 8-inch square (or 8×11-inch) baking pan. Pour batter into pan and spread evenly.
- Bake 20‚Äì22 minutes. Cool, cut into 12 squares and serve.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes