Double Whammy Chocolate Brownies
Makes: 12 servings
Free of: most top allergens (contain wheat)
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) carob powder [look for allergen-free brands]
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) chocolate chips*
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 4 eggs or 4 tbsp egg replacer
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Allergy-friendly baking chocolate choices: Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – free of all top allergens, plus certified gluten-free. www.enjoylifefoods.com; Nonuttin’ 70% Dark Chocolate Chunks and Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – free of all top allergens except soy. www.nonuttin.com; Vermont Nut Free Chocolates Chocolate Chips, Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, Candy Melts and Cocoa Powder - free of peanut and tree nut. www.vermontnutfree.com
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, sift together flour, carob, baking powder and salt. Add chocolate chips and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, use a whisk to cream together oil and sugar. Add the eggs (or egg replacer) and vanilla and stir.
- Pour wet mixture into flour mixture and combine.
- Grease an 8-inch square (or 8×11-inch) baking pan. Pour batter into pan and spread evenly.
- Bake 20-22 minutes. Cool, cut into 12 squares and serve.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.