Allergy-Friendly Falafel Burgers
These plant-based falafel burgers are an ode to Egypt’s national food. Slather them with our creamy garlic sauce and layer on tangy batons of pickled turnips. The flavorful patties pair beautifully with our potato salad tossed in a rich, nut-free pesto that marries Greek and Italian influences. Photo: Andrew Grinton
Makes: 6 servings + 1 1/4 cups sauce
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 cup garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1/2 tsp + 2 tsp salt, divided
- 3 cups + 12 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 4 tbsp lemon juice, divided
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 cups dry chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- Gluten-free ciabatta style buns
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 cups thinly sliced lettuce
- 2 cups sliced pickled turnips
- Place garlic and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a food processor and pulse until minced. Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and process until smooth, about 1 minute.
- With processor running, slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup oil followed by 1 tablespoon lemon juice or water. Repeat process until all 3 cups oil, remaining lemon juice and water are added. Blend until thick and white, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Drain and rinse soaked chickpeas. Place in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add onion, parsley, chickpea flour, remaining 2 teaspoons salt, cumin and coriander. Pulse until chickpeas are finely chopped and mixture sticks together if pinched.
- Shape 6 tightly packed, 3/4-inch thick patties.
- Heat about 6 tablespoons oil in a large skillet on medium. Carefully place 3 patties in skillet. Cook until golden and crispy, 3-4 minutes per side. Remove to a platter. Repeat with remaining oil and patties.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon garlic sauce on each ciabatta bottom bun. Top with tomato slices, lettuce, a falafel burger, more garlic sauce, turnips and top bun.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes