Mediterranean Potato Salad with Nut-Free, Dairy-Free Pesto Dressing
This exceptional potato salad marries Greek and Italian flavors. The nut-free and dairy-free pesto also tastes terrific as a topper for grilled chicken. Photo: Andrew Grinton
Makes: 6 servings + 1 cup pesto
Free of: gluten and all top allergens.
- 1 1/2 lbs baby yellow potatoes, quartered
- 3 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup roasted and salted free-from sunflower seed kernels
- 1 garlic clove
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sliced roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Place potatoes in a large pot. Add enough cold water to cover potatoes by 1 inch and add vinegar. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a serving dish.
- Put basil, mint, sunflower seeds, garlic and lemon zest in a food processor or blender. Pulse until finely chopped. Add oil, lemon juice and salt and process until smooth.
- Transfer ½ cup pesto to dish with potatoes and toss to coat. Add roasted red peppers, olives and spinach and stir to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Leftover refrigerated pesto keeps up to 3 days, and can be used as a condiment.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.