Allergy Mom Video: Making Top 9-Free Grilled Lemon Chicken
I’m so excited to share one of my family’s all-time favorite recipes for the barbecue – my Top 9-free Grilled Lemon Chicken.
While I dish out monthly allergy parenting advice for followers of the Allergic Living Megan’s Minute video series, anyone who follows my Allergy Awesomeness blog knows my love of creating allergy-friendly recipes.
My Grilled Lemon Chicken is incredibly easy to make, and the flavor is simply – “wow”. You just need to factor in enough time for the chicken to marinate. For full tangy citrus flavor, that’s ideally a few hours or overnight.
One way to remember is to make the marinade before you go to bed the night before. Or often I’ll make it just after breakfast on the day I plan to barbecue.
Check out my video, where I walk you through the steps to the Grilled Lemon Chicken (with the full recipe is below). Plus, I offer a few tricks grilling and food safety tips.
Tips About Grilled Lemon Chicken
With my family of six – two adults and four kids – we usually eat well with two cut-up chicken breasts and plenty of sides. That helps to cut down on grocery costs, but it also works because chicken breasts these days are often enormous!
Be sure to cut-up the chicken, as smaller pieces will become more flavorful in the marinade.
I use a lot of garlic in My Grilled Lemon Chicken – trust me, it won’t taste that garlicky. As I explain in the video, it just helps to enhance all the other flavors.
With the lemon juice, you can use the bottled kind in a pinch – or to supplement if you’re short by a lemon.
Also, a nice point about this recipe is that it has more lemon than oil. So you’re not “oiling down” the flavor, as can be the case in many marinades. With grilling season here, I hope you and your family thoroughly enjoy one of my family’s favorites.
Also don’t miss:
Megan’s Allergy-Friendly Glazed Maple Cookies
The Megan’s Minute series here or on YouTube
Top 9-Free Grilled Lemon Chicken
Makes: 4 servings
Free of: Top 9 allergens and gluten
Photo: Megan Lavin
Ingredients for Lemon Chicken
- 2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin slices (thighs can be used as well)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp jarred minced garlic (about 7-9 cloves)
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
Instructions for Grilled Lemon Chicken
- Combine chicken and marinade ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Massage bag so the ingredients become completely mixed.
- Flip the bag every few hours (if you can) to make sure all the sides sit in the marinade juices. Marinate from 1 hour to overnight, but no more than 24 hours.
- Once the chicken is done marinating, preheat your barbecue grill to medium high. Grill the chicken on both sides, until the chicken is cooked through (internal temperature of 165 degrees F). Let grilled lemon chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Megan’s Minute Series
Join Allergic Living monthly for a new installment of Megan’s Minute with Megan Lavin, the creator of the Allergy Awesomeness blog, which features great Top-9 free recipes and articles. Follow her on Instagram and Facebook.
Advice Videos from Megan Lavin:
How to Hire a Babysitter
Sports, Snacks, Coaches and Allergy Safety
Visiting Legoland with Food Allergies
How to Plan Meals with Food Allergies
Going to Birthday Parties
See more of the series on Allergic Living’s Youtube channel or Instagram page.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.