Pepper-Crusted Beef Tenderloin – Free of Top Allergens and Gluten
Warm spices enrobe the beef in flavor and help to seal in juices. This tenderloin makes a tender and succulent special event centerpiece. Photo: Andrew Grinton
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Check out the rest of Allergic Living’s Ultimate Allergy-Friendly Festive Feast here.
- 3 1/2 lbs beef tenderloin, trimmed and tied
- 3 tbsp black peppercorns
- 3 tbsp pink peppercorns
- 2 tbsp white peppercorns
- 2 tbsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp canola oil, divided
- 2 bulbs fennel, each cut into 6 wedges
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups allergy-friendly beef broth
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp cold water
- Preheat oven to 475° F. Place a rack inside a roasting pan.
- Pulse peppercorns in a spice grinder until coarsely chopped. Transfer peppercorns to a small bowl, add coarse salt and coriander and stir to combine.
- Evenly rub roast with 2 tablespoons oil and then spice mixture. Place in prepared pan.
- Put fennel wedges in a large bowl, add remaining 2 teaspoons oil and sea salt and toss to coat. Scatter fennel wedges and rosemary sprigs around beef.
- Roast beef for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° F and continue roasting for about 35 minutes. For medium doneness, roast until beef reaches an internal temperature of 145° F.
- Remove beef to a cutting board and loosely tent with foil. Place fennel on serving platter.
- Pour residual pan juices, from cooked beef, and wine into a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes. Add broth, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir cornstarch with water until smooth. Whisk the cornstarch slurry into the broth mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Slice beef and plate alongside fennel. Pour sauce into a gravy boat and serve with roast.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes