Warm Mushroom, Cherry Tomato & Arugula Salad
Crunchy popped rice and blistered cherry tomatoes complement golden mushrooms atop a bed of arugula. This eye-catching salad makes for a unique textural experience. Photo: Andrew Grinton
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
This recipe is part of Allergic Living’s Ultimate Allergy-Friendly Festive Feast Menu, click here to see the rest of the spread.
- 1/2 cup canola oil, divided
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- 12 oz fresh oyster mushrooms, torn into smaller pieces
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp mustard powder (see Tips)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp uncooked wild rice
- 5 oz baby arugula
Oyster mushrooms are preferred here since they release less liquid than other mushrooms.
Can’t eat mustard? Omit it, but the dressing may not emulsify completely.
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup canola oil, nutritional yeast and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Place mushrooms on prepared baking sheet, drizzle with the oil mixture and toss to coat. Evenly spread out and roast until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring often, until blistered in spots, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, honey, mustard powder, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking until the dressing is emulsified.
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup canola oil in a small skillet over high heat. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until it pops, 10-15 seconds. Remove rice with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Spread arugula on a platter. Top with the cooked mushrooms and tomatoes. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with popped rice.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes