Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookies
Ingredients for Shortbread
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) butter or butter alternative at at room temperature [we used Earth Balance]
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) sweet rice flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) assorted dried fruit, finely diced [optional]
Stores up to one week in an airtight container.
Shortbread cookies are a traditional favorite. We make ours gluten-free and dairy-free. In fact, they’re free of the top 9 allergens.
So whip up a batch and enjoy. Everyone can indulge!
Makes: 10-12 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Instructions for Shortbread
- In a large bowl, stir together butter (or alternative), cornstarch and sugar. Add sweet rice flour and fruit and combine well.
- Form dough into a log. Roll tightly in plastic wrap, folding in edges. Freeze for 45 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Take dough from freezer and unwrap plastic. Slice log into 1/4-inch rounds. Place rounds onto cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven, cool and serve.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.