Sesame-Free Smoky Grilled Eggplant Dip
Baba Ghanoush is a Middle Eastern staple, but the eggplant dip usually has tahini as an ingredient, which is made from ground sesame. But not in our version!
We’ve created our Grilled Eggplant Dip without sesame. It has a wonderful, smoky flavor that family and guests will love. (Sesame is now the ninth U.S. major allergen and a new law requires food makers to clearly label the allergic seed on food packages as of January 2023.)
Serve this dip alongside gluten-free pita wedges or crostini or on a crudités platter. Photo: Andrew Grinton
Makes: 8 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 large eggplant, stem removed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 tbsp + 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 lemon, cut width-wise
- 2 green onions, trimmed
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp sumac (or use 1 tsp lemon zest, pinch of salt)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley,
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds, 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sumac
- Preheat a barbecue or grill pan to medium.
- Use a paring knife to score grids on cut sides of each eggplant quarter. Brush grid sides with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Place eggplant quarters (cut side down), lemon half (cut side down) and green onions on the grill. Close lid if using a barbecue. Cook green onions for 2 minutes, flip and cook for 3 minutes, or until soft and slightly charred. Cook lemon for 8-10 minutes. Cook eggplant for 8-10 minutes, turn onto other cut sides and cook for 8-10 minutes, until soft and slightly charred. If using a grill pan without a lid, add a few minutes to cook times. Remove grilled ingredients to a plate and let cool enough to handle.
- Use a spoon to remove the eggplant flesh from skins. Place flesh in a food processor or blender.
- Add green onions and garlic to food processor and pulse until chopped. Squeeze grilled lemon into eggplant mixture, extracting all juice. Add parsley, sumac, salt, oregano and remaining 3 tablespoons oil and process until smooth.
- Transfer dip to a shallow bowl. Top with optional garnishes before serving, as desired.
Related: From our ‘Mediterranean Food’ series, also see:
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.