Allergy-Friendly Beef Tacos in a Bowl
These Beef Tacos in a Bowl feature all the great flavors of Mexican cuisine. But it’s done with a lighter touch that’s perfect for a summer’s evening or when tuning in for a big game.
Makes: 4 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp non-GMO canola oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 jalapeño, halved and seeds removed
- 1 green onion, trimmed and halved
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- Non-GMO canola oil for frying
- 2 corn tortillas (see Recipe Tips)
- 6 cups mixed greens (see Recipe Tips)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
For the corn tortillas, look for allergy-
friendly brands. If there are no issues
with gluten, this recipe also works well
with wheat tortillas.
Use greens of your preference e.g. mixed baby greens or kale.
- In a measuring cup, stir vinegar, sugar and l teaspoon of salt into the boiled water, until dissolved. Add onion slices, then let sit for one hour.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté beef, using the back of a wooden spoon to break up, for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder and ½ teaspoon of salt. Continue cooking, 6-7 minutes, until no pink remains in the beef, and there are crispy bits.
- For dressing, in a small skillet over medium heat, cook jalapeño until it’s blistered and lightly charred, about 5 minutes per side. Place in food processor and blend on high speed with green onion, lime juice, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Slowly stream in olive oil and pulse the mixture until emulsified.
- Heat canola oil, 1-inch deep, in small pot over medium heat. Halve tortillas and slice into 1/2-inch thick strips crosswise. Fry until golden and crisp, 2-3 minutes. Remove to a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- To assemble salad, divide greens among 4 bowls. Top with beef, tomatoes, avocado, pickled onion slices from Step 1, cilantro, and fried tortillas strips. Drizzle with dressing.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.