Allergy-Friendly Beef Tacos in a Bowl
All the great flavors of Mexican cuisine are here, but with a lighter touch that’s perfect for a summer’s evening.
Makes: 4 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp non-GMO canola oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 jalapeño, halved and seeds removed
- 1 green onion, trimmed and halved
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- Non-GMO canola oil for frying
- 2 corn tortillas (see Recipe Notes)
- 6 cups mixed greens (see Recipe Notes)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
For the corn tortillas, look for allergy-
friendly brands. If there are no issues
with gluten, this recipe also works well
with wheat tortillas.
Use greens of your preference e.g. mixed baby greens or kale.
- In a measuring cup, stir vinegar, sugar and l teaspoon of salt into the boiled water, until dissolved. Add onion slices, then let sit for one hour.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté beef, using the back of a wooden spoon to break up, for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder and ½ teaspoon of salt. Continue cooking, 6-7 minutes, until no pink remains in the beef, and there are crispy bits.
- For dressing, in a small skillet over medium heat, cook jalapeno until it’s blistered and lightly charred, about 5 minutes per side. Place in food processor and blend on high speed with green onion, lime juice, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Slowly stream in olive oil and pulse the mixture until emulsified.
- Heat canola oil, 1-inch deep, in small pot over medium heat. Halve tortillas and slice into 1/2-inch thick strips crosswise. Fry until golden and crisp, 2-3 minutes. Remove to a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- To assemble salad, divide greens among 4 bowls. Top with beef, tomatoes, avocado, pickled onion slices from Step 1, cilantro, and fried tortillas strips. Drizzle with dressing.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes