Free-From Steak and Quinoa Salad with Chimichurri
Chimichurri is the signature sauce of Argentinian cuisine, and it raises the stakes in this flavor-packed grains, greens and beef combination. In fact the sauce does double duty, providing both the steak marinade for tender grilled beef, as well as the salad dressing. Photo: Andrew Grinton
Makes: 4 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 jalapeño pepper, stem and seeds removed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup non-GMO canola oil, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 small flank steak
- 2 cobs corn
- 2 cups tri-colored quinoa, cooked
- 19 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups baby arugula
- For steak marinade, using a food processor, blend the jalapeño pepper, garlic, vinegar, cilantro, and parsley on medium speed until finely chopped. With the motor still running, stream in 6 tablespoons of the oil.
- For dressing, remove 1/4 cup of this mixture to a small bowl, stir in remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Set aside.
- Place remaining marinade and flank steak in a large resealable food storage bag. Press air out of bag and seal, then massage marinade over steak to coat. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat grill to high. Remove steak from marinade and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place on grill and cook 5-6 minutes per side for rare or longer to desired doneness. Remove to cutting board to rest for 10 minutes. Slice, against the grain, into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Meanwhile, roast corn on grill until lightly charred. Remove to a plate. When cool enough to handle, cut kernels from cob by inverting a small bowl inside a large bowl. Stand a cob on small bowl and slice down along it. When done, remove small bowl.
- Toss quinoa with corn, black beans and arugula.
- Serve with sliced steak atop the quinoa-based salad. Whisk reserved dressing and offer on the side.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes