Moroccan Chicken and Vegetable Stew
In this exceptional Moroccan Chicken and Vegetable Stew, hearty root vegetables join with chicken, chickpeas and tempting spices made famous in North Africa. This stew is hearty and ever-so flavorful. Free of gluten and the Top 8 allergens.
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Photo: Chris Gonzaga
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8, rinsed, patted dry
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 can (398 mL) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken stock [Look for allergen-free brands]
- 1 cup (250 mL) white wine [For sulfite-free, substitute: 1 cup stock]
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine cut-up chicken with ginger, garlic, turmeric, coriander and cayenne. Toss together well, cover and marinade in fridge for 2-4 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Sauté the chicken for 2-4 minutes on both sides until golden brown. Transfer chicken to a casserole dish that’s oven-proof.
- In the same large pan, sauté rutabaga, carrots and parsnips for 4 minutes. Then add to chicken.
- Next add chickpeas, stock, wine, salt and pepper to the casserole. Put lid on the dish and cook in the oven for 90 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over couscous or, for gluten-free, herbed rice.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.