Sweet & Spicy Spare Ribs
For the long weekend or just a special summer’s evening meal, these sweet and spicy spare ribs are certain to be a hit. The interplay of sweet and savory ingredients in the sauce, with a dash of heat, make for a truly delicious main.
Makes: 4 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Photo: Chris Gonzaga
- 2 racks of baby back ribs
- 2 cups (475 mL) pineapple juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) ketchup
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Place ribs in large oven-proof dish.
- Combine all other ingredients in large saucepan. Stir and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Turn off heat and let cool.
- Pour marinade over ribs and refrigerate for 2 to 6 hours. When close to your time to start cooking, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake ribs for 40 minutes, turning once or twice.
- Remove ribs and transfer to barbecue preheated on high. Cook for about five minutes on high, for a crispy finish.
- Cut each rack in half. Serve immediately.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.