Leek and Potato Soup Shooters – Dairy-Free, Nut-Free and Gluten-Free
Smooth sips of warm soup topped two ways – to satisfy both your meat-eating and vegetarian guests.
Makes: 35 1.5-oz shooters
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 2 medium leeks, white and green parts only
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dairy-free, soy-free buttery spread
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 4 cups allergy-friendly vegetable broth
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 4 slices prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1 small white potato
- Canola oil for frying
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- Halve leeks, rinse out visible dirt and pat dry with paper towel. Slice thinly on a diagonal.
- Heat olive oil and buttery spread in a medium pot over medium-low heat. Cook leeks until they begin to soften but not brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, potatoes, salt, thyme and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Pour in broth, increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. (Alternatively, mash ingredients with potato masher, then process just briefly in a food processor ‚Äì too long makes potatoes gluey.)
- For garnish, heat canola oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add prosciutto strips and cook until crisp, 2-3 minutes. Remove to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Cut potato into matchsticks by slicing into 1/8-inch-thick strips. Heat 2 inches of oil in a small pot over medium and fry potato sticks 4-5 minutes until crisp. Remove to paper-towel-lined plate to drain; sprinkle with salt.
- Fill shot glasses or espresso-sized glasses with soup and top half with crispy prosciutto and the other half with potato sticks. Sprinkle with green onion.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.