Free-From Cranberry-Glazed Chicken and Quinoa Meatballs
These savory meets sweet meatballs create a surprising one-bite delight.
Makes: 36 pieces
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 7 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 1/2 cup cooked tri-color quinoa
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup potato starch or cornstarch
- 2 tbsp canola oil, divided
Meatballs can be made ahead of time and warmed up in the cranberry glaze over low heat.
- For cranberry glaze, combine all ingredients in a medium pot over medium heat. Cook until cranberries are popped and tender, about 20 minutes. Use a potato masher to break down cranberries and continue cooking another 5 minutes, until sauce is thickened. Pour sauce through strainer and use back of a spoon to press through cranberries, leaving behind skins.
- For meatballs, preheat oven to 375° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken with cooked quinoa, parsley, sage, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Form tablespoon-sized balls of mixture. Roll balls in starch to coat, shaking off excess.
- Using a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat and cook half the meatballs until golden but not cooked through, about l minute per side. Don’t crowd your meatballs. Place browned meatballs on prepared baking sheet, and continue with remaining oil and meatballs. Once both batches are browned, bake meatballs in oven for 9-10 minutes, until cooked through.
- Toss meatballs with cranberry glaze to fully coat and serve.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes