Allergy-Friendly Steak and Mushroom Skewers with Jalapeño Dip
Cocktail-sized skewers loaded with tender pieces of steak and mushroom are dipped generously into creamy, smoky jalapeño goodness. Grab one before they disappear! Photo: Andrew Grinton
Makes: 20 skewers
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 4 jalapeño peppers, halved, seeds and stem removed
- 7 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
Steak and Mushroom Skewers
- 1/2 lb white button mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
- 3/4 lb top sirloin steak
- 2 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup allergy-friendly vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
For an extra kick in your dip, leave some of the seeds in the jalapeño.
- For dip, heat a small non-stick pan over medium heat. Cook peppers 10-12 minutes, until tender and charred in some spots. Place them in food processor with oil, lime juice, cilantro, and salt. Process until smooth, then remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Season mushrooms with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper.
- On a cutting board, cut steak into about 20 1-inch cubes. In a small bowl, combine onion powder, chili powder, cumin and remaining salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, toss steak cubes with seasoning mix to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and cook mushrooms until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Pour in broth and continue cooking until tender and most of broth has evaporated. Remove to plate and set aside.
- Wipe pan clean and increase heat to medium-high. Heat remaining oil, add steak cubes and cook them to desired doneness. Remove to plate.
- Using cocktail sized forks or skewers, thread each with a piece of mushroom and steak. Serve alongside dip.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes