Lemon Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
Thumbprint is a misnomer since you actually use your index finger to make the little jam pools in these tender, “buttery” cookies. But what’s in a name? They’re oh-so-pretty with festive red centers and a snowy dusting of powdered sugar.
Makes: 24 2-inch cookies
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) palm oil shortening or vegetable shortening (latter may contain soy)
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) sugar
- 1/2 tsp double-acting baking powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3/4 tsp Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 1 tbsp plain rice milk alternative
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) Cybele’s Basic Gluten-Free Flour Blend (see below) or Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend
- 3/8 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam
- confectioners’ sugar, for topping
Cybele’s Basic Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- 4 cups (950 mL) brown rice flour*
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) tapioca flour or starch
- 1 1/3 cups (320 mL) potato starch
- Mix until all ingredients are well-distributed. Then store in an airtight container.
When measuring flours and starches scoop into the measuring cups then level off with the back of a knife. Do not use the measuring cup to scoop.
*For best results: Use Authentic Foods Superfine Brown Rice Flour or Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Flour (which is also quite fine). However, the Bob's product does carry a tree nut "may contain" warning. If using another brown rice flour instead, place in a spice grinder or food processor and blend for 1 minute to get the find grind needed for these recipes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix shortening and sugar on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add baking powder, and mix until just combined. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, egg replacer and vanilla and mix for 30 seconds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour blend, xanthan gum and salt. Add to shortening mixture and beat on low until thoroughly combined and dough is soft, smooth and not too sticky.
- Scoop dough by the heaping tablespoon, roll into smooth balls and place on baking trays (12 per tray).
- Lightly flour your index finger and make indents in the center of each ball. Gently pinch together the edges if they split. Fill each indentation with a scant 1/2 teaspoon of raspberry jam.
- Bake in center of oven for 18-20 minutes, or until jam is bubbling and cookies are just lightly golden around edges. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prior to serving, dust with confectioners’ sugar. For bold red middles, lightly wet finger and trace over the jam surface to dissolve the confectioners’ sugar on the centers only.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes