Egg-Free Meringue Cookies
These simple meringue cookies are made egg-free with aquafaba. The taste just like the classics – and they’re even better when dipped into melted dairy-free chocolate.
Makes: 40 cookies
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- Liquid from 1 15 oz (425 g) can chickpeas, about 1/4 cup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put the aquafaba and vanilla extract in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or use a large bowl and a hand mixer). Beat on medium until foamy, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the cream of tartar. Turn speed up to high, beating until the mixture starts to thicken and become opaque, about 3 minutes.
- Continue beating on high and slowly add the sugar to the mixture, about 1 tbsp every 20 seconds. Continue beating until stiff peaks form, up to 8 minutes.
- Use a pastry bag to swirl or spoon to dollop the mixture onto the baking sheets. Bake for 2 hours.
- Shut off the oven, leaving cookies inside, for 1 hour or until firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature.
- Serve, storing leftovers in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes