Three-bean Chili con Carne
- 1 lb (454 g) lean minced beef
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each canned cannellini, red kidney and black turtle beans, rinsed
- 1 14 oz (398 mL) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 oz (398 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch pepper
Gluten-free Aged Cheddar Biscuits
- 1 cup (250 mL) rice flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) potato starch flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tapioca starch flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 eggs or equivalent egg replacer
- 2‚ÅÑ3 cup (160 mL) buttermilk
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) aged cheddar, grated
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
Makes: 6-8 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens (except egg and dairy in optional biscuits)
- For chili, in a large saucepan heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery and sauté until soft.
- Add minced beef and cook until browned. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer over medium-low heat 20-30 minutes.
- For the adventurous, add 2 tbsp (30 mL) bittersweet, allergen-free chocolate to chili and allow to melt. It rounds out the flavour.
- Chili can be refrigerated/reheated. Transport in a Thermos.
- For biscuits, preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix well. Cut in butter, using pastry cutter or two forks, until mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl beat eggs (or egg replacer mix). Add buttermilk, cheddar and parsley, and mix thoroughly.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes