- 2 cups (454 g) dried navy beans, rinsed
(pick out any bad ones)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1‚ÅÑ2 pound (250 g) bacon, chopped
- 6 cups (1.5 L) water
- 1‚ÅÑ2 cup (125 mL) dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tsp English-style dry mustard
[optional if allergy; watch for gluten-free brand]
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
You can also make these delicious beans in a heavy, covered casserole dish in the oven. Bake at 300°F for about 2.5 hours.
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga.
- Cover beans with 2 inches (5 cm) cold water and soak overnight.
- Strain and rinse beans. Discard soak water.
- Place beans in a large, heavy pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until beans are just tender, approximately 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into pot, combine well, cover and place just above a coal-rich open fire.
- Cook slowly for 3-4 hours. A very low heat is needed to provide a gentle simmer.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes