Pumpkin Blondies with Maple Glaze
Pumpkin lovers will adore the taste of these delectable blondies topped with a creamy maple glaze.
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Makes: 9 squares
- 6 tbsp dairy-free, soy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread), plus 1 tsp for pan
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) + 1 tbsp sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) millet flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tapioca flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg*
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp rice, flax or coconut dairy-free milk beverage
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 mL) pumpkin puree
- 3 tbsp dairy-free, soy-free margarine, melted
- 1 tbsp rice, flax or coconut dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 cup (250 mL) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Pinch salt
For added texture and flavor, stir-in 1/2 cup of a favorite allergy-friendly ingredient, such as toasted pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, candied ginger, or allergy-safe mini chocolate chips.
*Nutmeg is a spice derived from a seed, not a tree nut
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan with dairy-free margarine. Line with parchment paper.
- Put margarine in a small saucepan. Heat on medium-low until just melted, and whisk in ground flaxseeds. Let stand while mixing dry ingredients.
- Put sorghum flour, millet flour, tapioca flour, cinnamon, xanthan gum, baking powder, nutmeg, ginger, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add brown sugar, milk beverage, and vanilla extract to margarine mixture. Whisk briskly until emulsified.
- Stir in pumpkin, mixing to combine. Add to the flour mixture and stir until mixed. Scrape the mixture into prepared baking pan. Bake for 22 to 28 minutes, until the edges and top are firm, and a knife inserted into center comes out clean.
- Set the pan on a wire rack to cool completely, then use parchment paper to help lift the blondies out of the pan. Set blondies back on wire rack. Place additional parchment paper under the rack to catch the excess glaze in Step 7.
- To make the glaze, put margarine, dairy-free milk beverage, and maple syrup in a bowl. Whisk to combine, add confectioners’ sugar, a little at a time, whisking briskly until glossy and thick, but pourable. Pour over the blondies. Let stand 10 minutes to firm.
- Cut blondies into squares and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.