Free-From Big Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Our big chocolate chunk cookies get their perfect bakery-style look, texture and taste with the help of two secret ingredients: cream of tartar and extra vanilla. This recipe uses all-purpose flour. For those who can’t consume gluten, I also include a gluten-free variation, that’s more an oatmeal-style cookie.
First photo: Gluten-free cookie (Photo: Andrew Grinton)
Second photo: Main recipe’s cookie, using wheat flour (Photo: Alisa Fleming)
Makes: 24 cookies
Free of: dairy, eggs, nuts, peanuts and soy, with gluten-free option (See Recipe Tips)
See other allergy-friendly cookie recipes here.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or see GF variation)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup allergy-friendly chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola, grapeseed or rice bran oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
Our Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookie Variation
Using a spice grinder, process 1 cup certified GF quick oats into flour. Substitute the oat flour, 1/2 cup starch (corn, tapioca or arrowroot) and 1 1/2 cups certified GF quick oats for the all-purpose flour in the above recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Put brown sugar, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer until emulsified, about 1 minute.
- Stir flour mixture into wet mixture until fully combined. The dough may be a little greasy.
- Shape dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Lightly flatten the dough and press in any loose chocolate chunks.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until set on top, but still fairly light in color.
- Let cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes, before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes