Egg-Free Whipped Topping for Desserts
- liquid from 1 15 oz can (425 g) chickpeas, about 1/4 cup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (add for pie toppings)
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
The xanthan gum in this whipped topping adds stability you will be topping a pie. But the xanthan gum can be omitted for when you just want a whipped finish for other desserts or fruit.
Makes: generous topping for 1 pie
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- Preheat the oven to 200° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Put the aquafaba and vanilla extract in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or use a large bowl and a hand mixer). Beat on medium until foamy, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in the cream of tartar, if you’re making pie topping, the xanthan gum. Turn speed up to high, beating until the mixture starts to thicken and become opaque, about 3 minutes.
- Continue beating on high and slowly add the sugar to the mixture, about 1 tbsp every 20 seconds. Continue beating until stiff peaks form, up to 8 minutes.
Topping a Pie: Pipe or spread he mixture on top of the filled pie. Use a culinary torch or set the pie under the broiler just to brown the topping. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until serving.
Topping Another Dessert: Serve amount desired, or cover and refrigerate, for up to 1 day.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.