Chicken Braised in Apple Cider
This Chicken Braised in Apple Cider main dish is delightfully flavorful and deceptively easy to make. The apple undertone pairs well with pancetta, garlic, shallots and thyme.
And best of all, it’s allergy-friendly, for a fun family meal. See the Recipe Tip if you’re concerned about calories. If you skip the pancetta or bacon, you’ll lose some flavor. But it will still taste great.
Makes: 4 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Photo: Chris Gonzaga
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (skin on)
- 4 slices pancetta (or bacon), diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 4 cups (950 mL) fresh apple cider
For lower-cal, omit pancetta.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts, skin side down. Cook 3-4 minutes each side, until golden.
- Move chicken to a plate; set aside. Add diced pancetta to pan. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add shallots, garlic and thyme. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add apple cider and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and add seared chicken. Cover and braise 8-10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to serving platter. Continue to cook sauce until reduced by half.
- Spoon sauce over chicken and serve with maple glazed parsnips and carrots (pictured).
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.