Spicy Eggplant Fritters
Makes: 12-16 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Photo: Chris Gonzaga
- 3 baby eggplants or 1 large regular eggplant, cut into 1/8-inch rounds
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) hot water
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) rice flour
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Vegetable oil for frying
This batter works equally well with zucchini or mushrooms. It makes an excellent choice for guests who eat gluten-free.
- Place eggplant slices in a large bowl and cover with salted water. Let stand for 10 minutes, drain and pat dry.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the hot water, flours and spices until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour 2 inches of oil into a large, deep frying pan. Heat oil to 375° F (use a thermometer to check temperature).
- When oil is hot, dip the eggplant slices into the batter and then deep-fry, taking care not to crowd the pan. Fry until golden brown on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place cooked fritters on paper towel to drain off excess oil. Plate and serve.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.