Allergy-Friendly Spiced Pumpkin Soup
With this easy and delicious Spiced Pumpkin Soup, Simon Clarke offers a new twist on one of the classic flavors of autumn. Photo: Chris Gonzaga
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1 medium cooking pumpkin, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) each of carrots, onion, celery – all diced
- 1 leek, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp freshly grated or ground nutmeg (See Recipe Tips)
- 6 cups (1.5 L) vegetable stock (Look for allergen-free, GF brand)
- Pinch salt and pepper
Nutmeg is a spice derived from a seed, not a tree nut.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add pumpkin, carrots, onion, celery and leek. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add garlic and nutmeg, continue to cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Pour in stock and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- In a blender, purée soup in batches. Return to pot and season with salt and pepper.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.