Top 8-Free Butternut Squash Lasagna with Turkey, Kale and Mushrooms
This lasagna is layered with a butternut squash puree, turkey, kale and mushrooms. The ingredients can be prepared ahead of time, so all you have to do is cook the pasta, assemble, bake and enjoy. Photo: Andrew Grinton
Makes: 8 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 2 large butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided (1 tbsp + 1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp salt, divided (1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, divided (1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp)
- 1 1/4 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 cup minced yellow or white onion
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 12 oz button or cremini mushrooms, or combination of
- 4 cups (2 oz) firmly packed kale
- 14 oz gluten-free lasagna noodles, such as Tinkyada
- 4 cups (1 lb) mozzarella-style cheeze shreds, such as Daiya
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Rub squash inside and out lightly with 1 tablespoon of oil. Place face down on a parchment-lined baking pan. Bake 40-60 minutes, until tender. When cool enough to handle, scrape out squash flesh. Measure out 5 cups and place in large bowl.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and coconut milk to squash. In a food processor or with an immersion blender, process until smooth. Set aside.
- Place turkey in a medium bowl. Add second salt and pepper, onion, and sage. Mix well.
- In large skillet, add remaining oil and cook turkey mixture over medium heat 5-6 minutes or until it is no longer pink, breaking up into crumbles. Drain off fat and set turkey aside.
- Clean and slice mushrooms. Heat large saucepan over medium heat, then add mushrooms. To prevent sticking to pan, add a tablespoon of water at start of cooking, until mushrooms release juices. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and most of juices have evaporated, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Place kale in a basket or top of double boiler and steam until wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and chop when cool. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to manufacturer’s directions. When done, drain, rinse with cold water, and assemble immediately.
- To assemble lasagna, preheat oven to 375° F. Using a 9×13-inch (3-litre) rectangular Pyrex dish, first spread in 1 cup of squash puree. Now arrange a layer of noodles lengthwise over puree.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of puree over noodles. Cover puree with all the turkey. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese alternative shreds.
- Arrange a second layer of noodles in opposite direction to first layer, trimming with shears to fit. Spread 1 1/2 cups puree over noodles. Cover puree with mushrooms, followed by kale. Sprinkle on 1 cup cheese alternative shreds.
- Arrange third layer of noodles lengthwise. Spread remaining 2 cups of puree over them. Top with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese alternative.
- Cover lasagna with parchment paper to prevent cheeze from sticking. Then, wrap it tightly with foil and bake 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until sides are bubbling and lasagna is done.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes