- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups (475mL) red cabbage, sliced
- 4 small beets, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated
- 2 large plum tomatoes, diced
- 8 cups (2 L) vegetable stock [Look for allergen-free brands]
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sour cream for garnish [If dairy-free, omit or use Tofutti’s Sour Supreme]
- Fresh sprigs of dill and parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Photo: Chris Gonzaga
- In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add mustard seeds and stir for 1 minute. Add potato, cabbage and onion, sautéeing 4-6 minutes.
- Add beets, apple and tomatoes. Stir and add stock. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of (dairy-free) sour cream, parsley and dill.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.