Polenta Triangles with Roasted Red Peppers
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock, halved into two 2-cup portions [Look for allergen-free, GF brands]
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) cornmeal
- 1 ‚ÅÑ2 cup (125 mL) parmesan [optional], grated, plus extra for garnish vegetable oil for oiling dish
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 large red peppers
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) basil leaves, sliced
Makes: 14-16 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens (dairy in optional cheese)
- Bring 2 cups of stock and salt to a boil, over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal and other 2 cups stock. Add mixture to the boiling stock, reducing heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, 15-18 minutes until polenta is cooked. In the last few minutes, mix in the grated parmesan (if using).
- Brush an 8 x 11-inch Pyrex baking dish with vegetable oil. Spread polenta into dish, cover with plastic wrap and cool at least one hour. (Mix keeps in fridge up to one day.)
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Coat whole peppers with olive oil, place on baking sheet and roast 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven to cool, then remove skin and seeds. Slice thinly.
- Mix pepper slices and basil. Set aside.
- Cut polenta into triangles, roughly 2½-inches long. Brush with olive oil, and grill for 1-2 minutes on both sides. (Use a grill or griddle pan.)
- Top each grilled triangle with 1 tbsp of pepper mixture, garnish with shaved parmesan (if using) and serve.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes