Tomato and Basil Granita
- 1 ½ lbs (750 g) ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) basil leaves, finely sliced
Here’s a savory twist on the granita, which is usually a sweet, iced dish. For kids, you can make granita popsicles. Pair it with the Tomato and Fennel Salad (pictured).
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Photo: Chris Gonzaga
- Place a cookie sheet in freezer to chill.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except basil. In a blender, in batches, pulse until smooth. Pass through fine sieve, discard solids.
- Add basil to the strained mixture and stir.
- Remove cookie sheet from freezer and line with plastic wrap.
- Pour tomato mixture onto plastic wrap. Place back into freezer. As the mixture freezes stir often with a fork to break into small pieces until texture resembles slushy snow. (For small freezer, pour mixture into ice cube trays; no stirring.)
- Serve granita in small dessert bowls or chilled glasses. Garnish with a basil leaf.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.