Red Wine Fudge Pudding Cake
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sorghum flour
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (dark, if possible)
- 2 tbsp teff flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp allergy-safe semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) unrefined cane sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp refined coconut oil, melted*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (dark, if possible)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) merlot wine, warmed
*A Note on Coconut Coconut is technically a fruit. While most allergists do not consider it a tree nut, if you are nut allergic, ask your doctor if coconut is safe for you.
This chocolate pudding cake has a brownie-like topping covering a molten-merlot infused fudge pudding. It’s to be shared, of course, with your number one chocolate lover.
Makes: 2 generous servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly oil a glass dish, about 4×8 inches. Place the sorghum flour, cocoa powder, teff flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk well to combine. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Add the sugar, non-dairy milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract to a small bowl. Whisk well to combine. Pour this mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until combined. Spread the mixture into the prepared dish (it will be thick).
- For the pudding, place the sugar and cocoa powder into a small bowl. Whisk well to combine. Sprinkle the mixture over the batter. Then slowly pour the warmed wine overtop. Do not stir.
- Put the dish on top of a baking sheet, in case of spillover. Bake 30-35 minutes, until bubbling, and the topping feels firm to the touch. Cool 15 minutes. Serve warm, and indulge.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes