Dairy-free, Gluten-Free Spiced Banana Oat Bars
These hearty Spiced Banana Oat Bars are lightly sweet and just a touch cakey, and bridge the snack and treat divide. They are also a delicious way to use up those speckled bananas. Our dairy-free sweet cream ‘cheese’ topping is delightful, but completely optional.
Makes: 16 bars
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) + 2 1/2 cups (600 mL) gluten-free quick oats, divided
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 2 cups (475 mL) mashed very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) honey or agave nectar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) rice bran, grapeseed or melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) orange juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Sweet “Cream Cheese” Topping (recipe follows), optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Place 1/2 cup oats and chia seeds in a spice grinder or food processor and process into flour, about 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oat-chia flour, 2 1/2 cups oats, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger and allspice.
- In a mixing bowl, blend banana, honey or agave nectar, oil, juice and vanilla extract with a hand mixer until relatively smooth, about 1 minute. Add oat mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. Scrape dough into the prepared baking dish and evenly spread with a spatula.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until lightly browned around edges and beginning to pull away from pan sides. Place pan on a wire rack and let cook completely.
- Frost with Sweet “Cream Cheese” Topping, if using. Cut into quarters each way, to create 16 bars.
- If unfrosted, store bars in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days (may be frozen for longer storage). If frosted, eat immediately or refrigerate up to 3 days.
Sweet “Cream Cheese” Topping
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 28 grams of dairy-free, allergy-friendly cream cheese style spread (such as Daiya), 1/4 cup honey or agave nectar, 1/4 cup coconut cream and 1 tsp pure vanilla flavoring (alcohol-free), until smooth.
- Taste and whisk in additional sweetener, if desired.
- Store topping in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes