Cybele Pascal’s Rice Milk Mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) plain rice milk, chilled
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 6 tbsp canola oil
- 6 tbsp olive oil (or use all-canola oil, 3/4 cup total, for a mild flavor)
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
To emulsify the mayonnaise properly, you must incorporate the oil very slowly. Once thickened, feel free to add fresh herbs for a seasonal variation.
Makes: about 1 cup
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- Combine rice milk, lemon juice, white pepper, garlic and xanthan gum in a blender, and mix on high speed until foamy.
- Set blender on high, and using a dropper or measuring cup with spout, add the canola oil drop by drop through the hole in the blender’s lid, until the mayonnaise begins to emulsify. Continue adding the oil in a steady drip, until the mayonnaise is thick and creamy. Scrape down sides of blender as necessary. Don’t rush; slowly incorporating the oil should take several minutes.
- Add salt, taste, and adjust salt and lemon juice, if desired.
- Serve at room temperature. Transfer leftover mayonnaise to a jar, and store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.