“Buttermilk” Oven-Fried Chicken
This “Buttermilk” Oven-Fried Chicken is made with allergy-friendliness – it employs rice milk rather than cow’s milk, and there are no other top allergens or gluten in sight. Since it’s oven-baked rather than fried, it’s more healthful, too.
Oven-baked chicken is much lower in fat, but the skin never fully crisps like deep-fried chicken. The solution: remove the skin – cutting the fat even further. This allows the chicken to better absorb the marinade, for the breading to adhere to the surface, and it creates a much better texture when served at room temperature or cold. Photo: Chris Gonzaga
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 cup plain rice milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1/2 tsp + big pinch salt, divided
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lbs (1.5 kg) chicken parts – drumsticks, thighs and bone-in split breasts (cut in half crosswise), skin removed.
- 3 cups gluten-free corn flakes (such as Erewhon brand) or 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup dairy-free, soy-free mozzarella cheese alternative (e.g. Daiya)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup dairy-free, soy-free buttery spread (I use Earth Balance), melted
- In a large shallow dish whisk together rice milk, lemon juice, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt and a few turns of freshly ground pepper. Drizzle in oil, a little at a time, while whisking to combine.
- Add chicken to rice milk mixture. Turn to coat. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Grind cornflakes into a fine crumb in a blender or food processor. Transfer crumbs to a wide shallow bowl.
- Pulse cheese alternative in a blender or food processor until it’s the texture of grated Parmesan. Add the grated cheese alternative to the crumbs, as well as cayenne, big pinch of salt and a few turns of ground pepper. Toss to combine.
- Arrange a rack on top of a large baking pan. Remove chicken from marinade, allowing excess to drip off, turn in crumb mixture to coat and place on rack. Repeat with all chicken pieces. Let chicken dry on rack for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Arrange the chicken on a lightly greased baking pan. Drizzle with buttery spread. Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden and crispy. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.