Fruit Kebabs with Creamy Strawberry Dip
No picnic is complete without watermelon. But why not jazz it up with additional fruit on single-serve skewers and a dip? Bingo, kid-friendly food! As an added bonus, my boys like to help make this treat.
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) sliced strawberries
- 8 oz (3/4 cup) plain vegan cream cheese (I use Daiya for soy-free)
- 6 oz (170 g) plain vegan yogurt (I use So Delicious coconut milk yogurt)*
- 2 tbsp honey, agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups (1.5 L) fruit, such as cubed watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, strawberries and grapes
- wooden or bamboo skewers
*A Note on Coconut Coconut is technically a fruit. While most allergists do not consider it a tree nut, if you are nut allergic, ask your doctor if coconut is safe for you.
- Puree sliced strawberries in a blender.
- Place the cream cheese in a mixing bowl and whip with an electric hand mixer on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the yogurt, sweetener and vanilla, and mix until smooth and creamy. Add strawberry puree and mix until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, thread fruit onto skewers, alternating as you go. Serve skewers alongside dip.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes