Apple Rice Pudding Brulée
This apple rice pudding brulée is a great, easy dessert. And of course for Allergic Living, Chef Simon makes it free of top allergens and gluten-free!
Caramelizing the apples makes all difference. Then, similar to a creme brulée – we brulée the rice pudding’s top under the broiler. This makes that nice crusty, tasty topping.
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Photo: Chris Gonzaga
Related: Try our Apple Pie Cupcakes.
Ingredients for Rice Pudding
- 2 tbsp butter alternative, such as Earth Balance spread
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) Arborio rice
- 6 cups (1.5 L) rice milk
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Natural cane sugar for brulée
Instructions for Rice Pudding Brulee
- In a large sauté pan, heat butter alternative over medium heat. Add apples and sauté, stirring gently for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Continue to cook a further 8 to 10 minutes until caramelized. Remove and set aside.
- Rinse rice, and place in a medium saucepan.
- Add 4 cups of rice milk, cinnamon and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to low. While simmering and stirring for 22-24 minutes, gradually mix in the remaining rice milk. This retains enough liquid to cook the rice.
- Stir in maple syrup and caramelized apples. Continue to cook on low for 25 minutes, until rice is cooked through.
- Fill 4-inch ramekins with rice pudding. Top each one with 1 tbsp of sugar, spread evenly
- Place under broiler for 2-4 minutes until sugar is caramelized (bruléed).
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.