Dairy-Free “Buttery” Green Beans with Crispy Shallots
Pickled and fried shallots add appealing crunch and a light onion flavor to these “buttery” (but dairy-free) green beans. Photo: Andrew Grinton
Makes: 6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
This side is part of our Top-8 Free Festive Feast, click here to see the rest of the spread.
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water, plus additional for cooking beans
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp + 2 tbsp salt, divided, plus additional to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup dairy-free, soy-free buttery spread
- 2 tsp minced fresh chives
- 1 tsp minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 3/4 lbs green beans, trimmed
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- Separate shallot slices into rings and place in a small bowl. Put 1/2 cup water, vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt and sugar in a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil. Pour hot mixture over shallots.
- In a small bowl, stir together buttery spread, chives, parsley and zest until well-combined.
- Fill a large pot with water, add remaining 2 tablespoons salt and place over high heat. Bring to a boil. Add beans and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Drain shallots and discard liquid. Return shallots to bowl and coat with starch.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Tap excess starch off rings and fry until crisp, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking, 12-14 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Melt buttery spread mixture in a large skillet over medium heat. Add green beans and toss to coat. Season with salt.
- Transfer beans to a serving dish and top with crispy shallots.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes