Three-Bean Chili with Herb Cornbread
Makes: 4-6 servings of chili and 10-12 muffins
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 14 oz can each, kidney, pinto, white beans, drained and rinsed
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup golden cane sugar
- 1 tsp Italian savory herbs
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 cup unsweetened rice milk
- 2 flax ‚Äúeggs‚Äù (2 tbsp ground flax seeds + 6 tbsp hot water, combined and cooled) or 2 eggs
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Mix in beef and sauté for another 4 minutes. Now add remaining ingredients.
- Bring chili to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer chili for for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for cornbread, pre-heat oven to 375° F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, whisking thoroughly.
- In a smaller bowl, combine all wet ingredients. Pour into cornmeal mixture and stir gently until well incorporated. Batter will be quite wet.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tin to just below the top of each baking cup.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick in the center comes out clean. Serve warm with chili.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes