Carrot Soup Shooters
These Carrot Soup Shooters make a wonderful allergy-friendly appetizer.
They have notes of citrus, garlic and curry. Placed on a beautiful tray in individual shooter glasses, they’ll delight your guests – and disappear quickly.
Makes: 16-20 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Photo: Chris Gonzaga
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp curry paste (Look for allergen-free brands)
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, ground
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups (720 mL) carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 cup (250 mL) orange juice
- 4 cups (1 litre) chicken stock (Look for allergen-free, GF brands)
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add curry paste and coriander, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots and zest. Continue to cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in orange juice, stock and add salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Puree soup in blender until smooth. Stir in more stock if too thick. Allow to cool slightly.
- Using a funnel, pour soup into shooter glasses and serve.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.