Allergy-Friendly Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Rich chocolate and warm brown sugar complement earthy zucchini for a superbly moist and comforting chocolate chip zucchini bread. Free of Top 8 allergens and gluten. A great recipe all year, but never better than when you have fresh zucchini in the garden. Photo: Andrew Grinton
Makes: 8 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
See also: Allergy-friendly Apple Pie
- 2 cups grated zucchini, firmly packed
- 6 tbsp lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour blend (such as King Arthur GF all-purpose)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (omit if using flour blend with gum)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup allergy-friendly chocolate chips
- 2 cups powdered confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3–4 tbsp unsweetened hemp milk beverage
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
If egg allergy is not an issue, use 2 eggs in place of flaxseed meal and water.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease an 8×4-inch loaf pan.
- Place grated zucchini in a colander over a bowl and squeeze to drain moisture.
- In a small bowl, stir together water and flaxseed meal.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and nutmeg.
- Put brown sugar, oil, apple-sauce, hot water and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and combine until smooth. Vigorously whisk flaxseed mixture then gradually blend into main mixture. Add dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan and even out. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
- Place pan on a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and let cool completely.
- For glaze, sift powdered sugar and cocoa powder into a medium bowl. Whisk in 3 tablespoons milk beverage and vanilla until smooth. Whisk in up to 1 tablespoon additional milk beverage, as needed. Aim to create a thick drizzle.
- Place cooled zucchini bread on wire rack, with a piece of parchment paper beneath rack. Drizzle glaze down the loaf center, allowing it to run down the sides. Let it set for 2 hours before slicing.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes