Braised Beef Shanks
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Photo: Chris Gonzaga
- 4 beef osso buco cuts from the shank (be sure to ask for the osso buco cut, or you will end up with a very large whole shank)
- 1 cup (250 mL) tapioca flour (or all-purpose wheat flour)
- 1 tbsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) red pearl onions
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (475 mL) diced carrots
- 1 cup (250 mL) celery, diced
- Rind from 1 orange ‚Äì remove peel with peeler
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch fresh thyme (whole)
- 4 cups (950 mL) beef stock (Look for allergen-free, g-f brands)
- 2 cups (475 mL) red wine (if not using wine, replace with more stock)
- Pre-heat oven to 350¬∫ F. Season flour with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss shanks gently in seasoned flour to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a large, oven-proof Dutch oven, over medium-high heat. Brown shanks. Remove and set aside.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery to the pot. Cook 5 minutes. Add orange peel strips, bay leaves, thyme, stock and wine (if using). Stir.
- Now add beef shanks and submerge in the liquid. Cover tightly with Dutch oven lid. Place in oven for 2-2½ hours, until shanks are tender.
- Skim off excess fat from pan. Remove orange peel and herbs.
- Serve one beef shank per person, with some vegetables and aromatic broth.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.