Potato, Parsnip and Pear Latkes
Pear and parsnips add great flavor – and some nutrients – to these golden non-traditional latkes. Sauté them up and watch them disappear!
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Photo: Chris Gonzaga
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, peeled
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled
- 1 large pear, peeled
- 2 eggs or equivalent egg replacer (mixed)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose gluten-free flour or 1 1/2 tbsp gluten-free matzo meal
- Few pinches salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil (check for allergy-safe brand)
- Coarsely grate potato, parsnips and pear. Transfer to bowl after squeezing out and discarding excess juice.
- Add egg (or egg replacer), flour or meal and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- In a sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Using a large soup spoon, place one helping of latke mixture into oil, flattening gently with back of spoon.
- Cook 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden and crispy. Remove to paper towel to drain oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat process, making about 12-15 latkes. Serve with applesauce and vegan (dairy-free) sour cream.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.