Allergy-Friendly Orange Beef Stir-Fry
The bright, fresh ingredients in this Top 9-free Orange Beef Stir-fry provide delicious versatility. And feel free to substitute other favorite vegetables.
Unusually, there are no allergens like soy, gluten or nuts in sight. As this dish is prepared in under half an hour, it’s also perfect for a tasty weeknight meal. Serve it over your choice of rice, quinoa or kale salad, or in lettuce cups. Photo: James Tse
Makes: 4 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp non-GMO cornstarch
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 lb (450 g) beef, thinly sliced (striploin, sirloin or flank steak, cut against grain)
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
- 2 tbsp non-GMO canola oil
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) gluten-free, allergy-friendly beef broth
- 1 1/4 cups (295 mL) snow peas, trimmed
- In a small bowl, whisk orange juice, cornstarch and vinegar until starch is dissolved.
- In a medium bowl, toss beef slices with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Sprinkle in red pepper flakes and sizzle for a few seconds. Add beef and cook 3 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Add carrots, mushrooms, garlic, ginger and zest, and sauté 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in broth.
- Drizzle in cornstarch mixture (from Step 1), whisking constantly until sauce thickens. Stir in snow peas, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper, to taste.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.