South Asian Grilled Chicken
- 1 whole organic chicken, rinsed and cut into 8
- 4 tbsp whole coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp whole mixed peppercorns
- 2 tbsp fresh garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Bunch fresh coriander leaves (for garnish)
Sweet & Spicy Dipping Sauce
- 1‚ÅÑ2 cup (125 mL) rice wine vinegar [look for allergen-free brands]
- 1‚ÅÑ2 cup (125 mL) clear honey
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1‚ÅÑ2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 1‚ÅÑ2 tsp salt
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
- Place coriander seeds, peppercorns, garlic, salt and oil in a large mortar and pound with a pestle until a paste forms. (Or pulse ingredients for 1 minute in a spice grinder or mini-chopper until combined.)
- Rub paste over cut-up chicken to coat. Marinate for 2-4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, make the dipping sauce: combine rice wine vinegar and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then simmer over low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 2 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- Pre-heat barbecue or broiler on high. Cook chicken on both sides for 6-8 minutes or until juices run clear when cut with a knife.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter garnished with fresh coriander leaves. Pour dipping sauce into small individual bowls and serve.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.