Hawaiian Potato-Macaroni Salad: Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Gluten-Free
Ah Hawaii, the surf, the sand, the palms – and the food! The state’s unique cuisine has been a hot food trend in restaurants for the past couple of years.
In this recipe for Hawaiian Potato-Macaroni Salad, allergy chefs Joel Schaefer and Mary Schaefer, who’ve lived and worked in the Pacific state, re-create a classic staple of its lunch counters. But not to worry for the kitchens of food allergy families, the chefs have skipped all top allergens, including the dairy and eggs that you’d usually find in a comparable salad.
Makes: 6 servings/ 2 quarts
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 1/2 cups allergy-friendly mayonnaise (see Tips)
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups (20 oz) peeled red skin potatoes, cut medium dice
- 8 oz dry gluten-free macaroni (see Tips), such as Andean Dream Quinoa organic macaroni, cooked following manufacturers’ directions
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed and drained
This salad also tastes great using 2 tsp of horseradish in place of the 2 tbsp of mustard.
Good mayonnaise options include Just Mayo (may contain soy) or Soy-Free Vegenaise by Follow Your Heart.
Salad is best served the same day, as some gluten-free pastas firm up when chilled overnight.
- For dressing, in a medium bowl, mix together mayonnaise, mustard, pickle relish, celery seed, salt, and pepper. Set aside in refrigerator.
- For salad, place diced potatoes in a large saucepan with cold water. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer, and cook until potatoes are fork tender. Drain, but don’t rinse. Spread on a baking sheet to cool.
- Place cooled potatoes in a large bowl. Add cooked macaroni, shredded carrots, and peas.
- Add dressing to mixture and stir gently to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.