Grilled Radicchio Wedges with Charred Scallion and Caper Dressing
Consider this the wedged salad with edge. It balances the boldness of radicchio with the tang of briny capers, and the subtle sweetness of pear.
Makes: 4-6 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1-1 1/2 heads radicchio, quartered
- 2 green onions, ends trimmed
- 3 tbsp apple cider or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp gluten-free Dijon mustard (omit for an allergy to)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp capers, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 Bosc pear, cored, peeled and diced
If you prefer this dish as a salad, use 2 heads of radicchio, and quarter and grill according to directions. Chop grilled radicchio in 1/2-inch-wide strips, discarding core. Toss with dressing and diced pear.
- Fill a medium-sized bowl to half full of water, and add a few ice cubes. Submerge radicchio wedges in bath and soak 1-2 hours to remove some of the bitterness. Remove from water and pat dry with paper towels. Trim the core, leaving part of it attached to keep wedge intact.
- Place green onions on barbecue or grill pan. Cook until ends are lightly charred and white parts are softened, about 5 minutes per side. Set aside on a plate. When cool enough to handle, finely chop.
- In a small bowl, mix vinegar with mustard. Slowly steam in oil while vigorously whisking until emulsified. Stir in green onion, capers, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Put radicchio wedges cut side down on well-oiled barbecue or grill pan over medium heat and cook 3-4 minutes per side or until lightly marked and frizzled. Place on serving plates.
- Spoon dressing generously over radicchio wedges, sprinkle with diced pear, and serve.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes