Allergy-Friendly Mexican 7-Layer Dip
This flavorful Mexican dip is perfect for parties and can be as convenient or as homemade as you like. The thick dairy-free “cheeze” sauce comes together quickly and the rest can be store-bought or whipped up in your kitchen with the easy recipes that follow or are linked. Just add tortilla chips and watch it disappear!
Plus, see plenty more great Super Bowl party or other sporting get-together ideas here.
Makes: 12 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 16 oz (454 g) can refried beans
- 1 packet ‘safe’ taco seasoning or batch Taco Spice Mix recipe here.
- 3/4 – 1 cup coconut or rice milk beverage
- 1/2 cup sliced, soft cooked carrots
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp non-GMO cornstarch or potato starch
- 2 tbsp rice bran, grapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 – 1 1/4 tsp salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp smoked or regular paprika
- 1/2 4 oz (113 mL) can diced green chilies, drained (optional)
- 1 cup dairy-free store-bought guacamole, or Speedy Guacamole recipe here.
- 1 cup cooked, shredded rotisserie chicken or Crockpot Shredded Chicken recipe here.
- 1 cup salsa or pico de gallo
- 1 cup chopped iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives, drained
- Tortilla chips, store-bought or Fresh Baked Tortilla Chips recipe here.
- In a medium bowl, stir beans and taco seasoning to combine.
- Place 3/4 cup milk beverage, carrots, nutritional yeast, starch, oil, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon salt, onion powder and paprika in a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour liquid through a fine mesh sieve into a medium pan over medium heat. Bring to a bubble, while whisking. Continue to cook and whisk 2 minutes, or until thickened. Whisk in additional milk beverage, as needed, to thin. Add salt, to taste, and optionally stir in green chilies for a spicy queso “cheese”.
- Evenly spread beans in a flat-bottomed serving dish with high sides (at least 3 inches high if using an 8-inch dish). Evenly spread on guacamole layer. Whisk “cheese” sauce to smooth and evenly spread over guacamole. Sprinkle with shredded chicken, lightly pressing in to even out. Top the chicken with salsa or pico de gallo, sprinkle on lettuce and then olives. Serve with tortilla chips.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes