Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Apple Crisp with Hint of Orange
Apple crisp is an autumnal favorite. Our version – called Apple Crisp with a Hint of Orange – is free of top allergens. But while it skips on the usual gluten and dairy, it introduces orange zest. This lends the dessert a welcome shot of citrus tang. Photo: Chris Gonzaga
Makes: 8 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 8 medium apples, peeled and diced
- zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter alternative (such as Earth Balance) or butter
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) gluten-free oats*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
*Gluten-free oats (look for certified) are allowed on the gluten-free diet on a limited basis. With allergies, check labels for 'may contain' warnings.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 8 ramekins (4-inch). Toss apples with zest and divide among ramekins.
- Place flour blend in a large bowl. Add butter or alternative in small pieces. Using your fingertips rub together until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle mixture over apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes until topping is golden brown.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.