Gluten-Free Date Squares
Makes: 12 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 2 cups (475 mL) pitted dates
- 3‚ÅÑ4 cup (180 mL) water
- 1‚ÅÑ4 cup (60 mL) orange zest
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) rice flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) rolled Gluten-Free oats (large)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1‚ÅÑ4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 1‚ÅÑ2 tsp salt
- 1‚ÅÑ2 cup (125 mL) allergy-safe vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine dates and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook on medium 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a paste forms. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest and juice. Set aside.
- For crumb layer: combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt in mixing bowl. Melt butter or shortening and brown sugar in a small saucepan on low heat. Pour into flour mixture and add vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Place two-thirds of crumb mixture into pan and press in lightly. Add date filling and top with remaining crumb mix.
- Bake 20‚Äì25 minutes until golden brown. Remove and cool. Cut into 12 squares. Serve or store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes