Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Lemon Coconut Cream Cake & Blueberry Sauce
A light, fluffy dessert like this classic cake is the perfect ending to any summer meal. It presents beautifully, with a fresh blueberry layer and zesty whipped coconut cream. (Not suitable for those with coconut allergy.) Photo: Andrew Grinton
Makes: 8 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup aquafaba (from chickpeas)
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tbsp water
Lemon Coconut Cream
- 2/3 cup dairy-free, soy-free buttery spread
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (see Recipe Tips)
- 3 cups powdered confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
The blueberry compote can be substituted with 1/2 cup blueberry preserves.Refrigerate full-fat coconut milk overnight. The thick cream that surfaces is the coconut cream. A Note on Coconut: Coconut is a fruit, not a nut. With nut allergy, ask your doctor if coconut is safe for you.
- For cake, preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease an 8-inch springform pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and lemon zest.
- Put aquafaba and cream of tartar in bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on low until frothy, about 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar and beat until glossy with stiff peaks, about 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, oil and vanilla and beat 1 minute. Slowly add flour mixture and beat until just
- Scrape batter into pan and even out. Bake in center of oven for 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Release springform and place cake on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For compote, add blueberries, sugar and lemon juice to a small pot over medium-low heat. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until blueberries release their juices.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and water until smooth. Whisk into blueberry mixture. Cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove compote to a bowl and let cool completely.
- For cream topping, place buttery spread and coconut cream in bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until combined. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating on low until fully incorporated. Increase speed to medium and whip for 1 minute.
- Add lemon juice and salt and beat on high until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- To assemble, spread blueberry compote on cake leaving a 1-inch border around edge. Top with coconut cream and gently spread to edge. Garnish with blueberries and coconut flakes.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine. Subscribe today for more great allergy-friendly and gluten free recipes