Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Lemon Coconut Cream Cake & Blueberry Sauce
A light, fluffy dessert like this classic cake is the perfect ending to any summer meal. It presents beautifully, with a fresh blueberry layer and zesty whipped coconut cream. (Not suitable for those with coconut allergy.) Photo: Andrew Grinton
Makes: 8 servings
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup aquafaba (from chickpeas)
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tbsp water
Lemon Coconut Cream
- 2/3 cup dairy-free, soy-free buttery spread
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (see Recipe Tips)
- 3 cups powdered confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
The blueberry compote can be substituted with 1/2 cup blueberry preserves.Refrigerate full-fat coconut milk overnight. The thick cream that surfaces is the coconut cream. A Note on Coconut: Coconut is a fruit, not a nut. With nut allergy, ask your doctor if coconut is safe for you.
- For cake, preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease an 8-inch springform pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and lemon zest.
- Put aquafaba and cream of tartar in bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on low until frothy, about 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar and beat until glossy with stiff peaks, about 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, oil and vanilla and beat 1 minute. Slowly add flour mixture and beat until just
- Scrape batter into pan and even out. Bake in center of oven for 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Release springform and place cake on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For compote, add blueberries, sugar and lemon juice to a small pot over medium-low heat. Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until blueberries release their juices.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and water until smooth. Whisk into blueberry mixture. Cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove compote to a bowl and let cool completely.
- For cream topping, place buttery spread and coconut cream in bowl of a stand mixer. Beat until combined. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating on low until fully incorporated. Increase speed to medium and whip for 1 minute.
- Add lemon juice and salt and beat on high until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- To assemble, spread blueberry compote on cake leaving a 1-inch border around edge. Top with coconut cream and gently spread to edge. Garnish with blueberries and coconut flakes.
Sign up for Allergic Living's free newsletter for more great allergy-friendly and gluten-free recipes, plus the latest food allergy research and news.